Topic Starter Restless Rancor
- Posts: 48
- Joined: October 15th, 2018, 3:14 pm
- Age: 25
- Location: Hampshire, England
The purpose of this article is to help you install phpBB to a localhost (your computer) so you can make code changes and test them locally without the need of uploading them to your webhost, clearing caches etc.
- We will be installing XAMPP on Windows 10.
- I've only recently started using this method myself, so may be unable to answer some more technical questions.
You're good to go! You can now log into
- Download XAMPP here.
- I suggest downloading the php 7 version, as php 5 is reaching it's EOL, however you may want to match your download to what your online board runs on.
- Run the downloaded
- You may see a warning about antivirus and will need to click continue. If the installation process fails, follow this link for more details.
- Select which components to install: I chose to install them all.
- Chose the installation folder.
C:\xampp is the default and recommended destination.
- You'll be asked if you want to install Bitnami.
- You do not need to install it, but you can read more about it here and decide for yourself.
- Click next to begin the installation.
- The installation process may take several minutes.
- One installed you'll have the option to launch the controller.
- A restart may be required
- Once installed, launch XAMPP and chose your default language...
- Click Start for Apache and MySQL.
- You'll need to do this each time you browse to your localhost forum.
- Click Admin next to MySQL: Your default browser will open phpMyAdmin.
- Click User Accounts in the navigation bar.
- Under the User Accounts Overview, click Add user account.
- Enter a username and password, select Local from the Host name drop-down box, tick Create database with same name and grant all privileges, Grant all privileges on wildcard (username\_%) and finally Check all.
- Click Go at the bottom, right hand side of the page.
- Download and extract phpBB to
C:\xampp\htdocs\phpbb (or the
xampp\htdocs\phpbb location you installed XAMPP to).
- Navigate to
localhost/phpbb in your browser: you'll see the phpBB installer.
- Run the phpBB installer, using the database information for the database we created in step 12.
localhost/phpbb with the username and password you chose for your admin account in the phpBB installation process.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
No users subscribed to this topic